Pete & Steph: North-South Divide
Pete & Steph: North-South Divide

RBMA Presents Club Cosmos w/ Moodymann @ Invisible Wind Factory, 08/10/16
Photo Credit: Tandem PR

On the Saturday night of Red Bull Music Academy’s expansive foray into Liverpool, Invisible Wind Factory played host to the Club Cosmos night and the event more than lived up to Its name! As soon as you entered the venue you were greeted by a looming sphere which looked like a small moon, where from out of its craters shone a dazzling array of lasers that cascaded off mirrored asteroid-like sculptures suspended mid-air and sent shimmering patterns all around the once-derelict warehouse space like some kind of dystopian disco balls. The spectacular light show was completed by levitating pillars of circular blue lights at the back of the stage which resembled something straight out of science fiction, and complemented by sequential orange displays similar to an 808 drum machine.

As we arrived, Sassy J was warming things up nicely with a set full of chugging disco which provided a slow groove for the initially small audience to get into.  However, the place was soon packed to the rafters as headliner Moodymann took to the stage around midnight and brought proceedings into full swing.

Weaving through an eclectic and thoughtful selection of tracks, Moodymann quickly upped the pace of the night going from psychedelic tracks seldom heard at these sort of events like Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Purple Haze’, through to house classics such as ‘Burning’ by MK, to more fresh and contempory tracks via Paranoid London’s ‘Eating Glue’ or DJ Koze’s remix of ‘Bad Kingdom’ which kept the crowd dancing consistently all night.

Not simply content with the tracks he was playing, Moodymann himself oozed an air of coolness, mixing in tracks nonchalantly and providing a sultry voiceover as he unusually doubled-up as an MC to add a feeling of wooziness and psychedelia to the music. In a very tongue-in-cheek sense of humour he was also flanked by a female back-up dancer who was not only the spitting-image of the man himself, but was also adorned with a t-shirt bearing Moodymann’s face!

2am rolled around and Moodymann left the stage to a round of applause and while normally it would be no easy feat to come on stage after such an intimidating set by a dance music icon, Hunee & Young Marco were up to the job and delivered a high-energy house set packed with classics that the crowd lapped up immediately and the DJs themselves seemed to enjoy even more!

4am finally had to arrive though and as the lights came on and the music stopped,  the crowd were left in good spirits, still humming the final tune.

Truly a cosmic night….

Alex Williams
Music Team and Technical Support at LSRadio

Thundercat @ Invisible Wind Factory, Liverpool (24/3/17)
PREVIEW: FestEvol Gardens @ Invisible Wind Factory (30/4/17)
Pinata Carnival: Skinner’s Lane w/ Black Pulp & Native Kings @ Buyers Club (23/3/17)