New & Noteworthy
New & Noteworthy

Rebecca Ferguson @ Hotel Malmaison Liverpool (11/10/16)

On Monday night in the Malmaison Hotel, Rebecca Ferguson took to the stage for a small and intimate gig to launch her new album, ‘Superwoman’. Donning a glittering silver dress, the Liverpudlian songstress commented on how nice it was to be back around Scousers and also told the crowd the origins for her latest record: after having a ‘crap year’, she had wanted to write an album to encourage people and show them that life goes on after a relationship ends.

These words were then echoed through the powerful lyrics of her first song Superwoman, the title track from her album – ‘I never said I was superwoman, I never said I was more than coping’. You could clearly feel Rebecca’s raw emotion as she sang these personal lyrics, along with her vulnerability as she wonders ‘Maybe I’m all cried out’. The whole showcase gave off a relaxed atmosphere and recalled the early performances of artists such as Adele in terms of its simplicity, as the stage was bare apart from a microphone and a keyboard for accompaniment. This stripped back and simple set up helped to demonstrate just how talented an artist Rebecca is, and prove that as in many cases less is more.

‘The Way You’re Looking At Her’ came next, a song I found to be very Whitney Houston-esque, and this was followed by one of her earlier singles ‘Nothing’s Real But Love’ which had much of the audience singing along to the bluesy track. Here, Rebecca took a moment to thank the audience and everyone who had supported her, and to also confess how emotional it was to be back in Liverpool.

As her penultimate song, Rebecca performed her newest single ‘Bones’, a song about no longer putting up with ‘an unkind man’. Once again, Rebecca proved that you don’t need millions of backing singers and instruments to prove how talented a vocal artist you can be.

For her finale Rebecca sang ‘Pay For it’ and it is clear to see why. Commenting that it was her favourite from the album I imagine soon it will also soon be a favourite to many of her fans as well. The subtle build up, catchy lyrics and strong chorus all made it a great track to end on.

The fact that Rebecca only played five songs may have disappointed some people, but I found the set to be short and sweet as it left the crowd eager and wanting more, ultimately leaving everyone with much anticipation and wonder for what’s in store for the rest of the album.

Picture credit: http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/85278-album/

Jess Fleming