New & Noteworthy
New & Noteworthy

BEST OF THIS WEEK’S BUNCH: 14th – 20th November Gig Guide

Applewood Road @ O2 Academy 16.11.16

This Wednesday at Liverpool’s O2 Academy, the all female country-folk trio, Applewood Road, will be gracing the stage and blowing us over with their beautifully serene harmonies and incredibly catchy melodies.

Photo Credit: Songwriting Magazine

Photo Credit: Songwriting Magazine

The band are embarking on a tour of the UK promoting their new album, the self-titled Applewood Road. The trio made up of friends Emily, Amber and Amy from Nashville recorded their recent album live around a single microphone on a two-track tape, creating a hauntingly simple, vintage sound.

The album features tracks which hark back to the traditional bluegrass, rockabilly songs of Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton. So after a week that we would like to forget, head down the O2 this Wednesday for a night of musical bliss.

Tickets are still available to buy at Ticketweb

Words: Roma Brown 

Tom Grennan supporting Reverend and the Makers @ Magnet, Liverpool 16.11.16

The name Tom Grennan may be vaguely familiar to you. The Bedford born singer-songwriter has quickly shone to stardom over the past couple of months after catching the critical eyes of legendary Drum ‘n’ Bass duo Chase and Status to feature on their most recent single All Goes Wrong.

Photo Credit: AllMusic

Photo Credit: AllMusic

Since his recent success Grennan has made live appearances at the MOBO Awards and Later with Jools Holland, released a debut single Something in the Water and just last week sold out his first headline gig in London. Wow. 
From Grennan’s deep and soulful voice this aspiring 21 year old has authenticity and a sense of retro soul. His music takes the blues tradition of rich story-telling lyrics and with his gruff, soulfully smooth voice it is of no surprise that Grennan has been compared to the likes of Jamie T and Maverick Sabre. He is currently touring with indie legends Reverend and the Makers on their nationwide tour, they stop off in Liverpool’s very own Magnet on Wednesday night and it is most definitely one to look forward to.

Words: Jessica Hawkins

Jamie T @ Liverpool Olympia 17.11.16

This Thursday the one and only Jamie T headlines the Liverpool Olympia. After postponing for a month due to vocal issues (probably from belting his heart out the absolute ledge) the Cockney rhyming genius will be welcomed back to the city with an extremely eager crowd ready to mosh to their full potential!

With support from Baby Strange, the night is shaping up to be pretty damn good… you’d be a fool to miss out!

Photo Credit: Q Magazine

Photo Credit: Q Magazine

But fear not, there is a possibility that seated tickets may still be available, so if you’re itching to get in on this unforgettable night of madness then here is your chance! 

Words: Alice Pearce

Gengahr @ Buyers Club 17.11.16

North London, indie-rock band Gengahr kick off their second UK headline tour this month and their second stop is Liverpool’s very own Buyers Club this Thursday evening. Earlier this year the indie lads teamed up with Wolf Alice on their European tour and have been busy in the studio recording their second record. Fans are in for a treat with live performances from their debut album A Dream Outside certain, and surely a teaser of the future sounds.

Photo Credit: DIY Magazine

Photo Credit: DIY Magazine

If you’re a fan of the likes of Alt-J, Wolf Alice or Spring King then Gengahr are for sure the band to sink your teeth into. Blending gentle psychedelia, strong guitar riffs and angelic harmonies, this night is set to lie on the border of fantasy and reality.

Tickets still available online via See Tickets

Words: Ellen Bridge

Courteeners @ Liverpool Echo Arena 18.11.16

The Mancunian indie rockers are back in town this weekend and they’ll be sure to make the night their own as they bring the roof down of the Echo Arena on Friday night. The now three musketeers of Middleton are embarking on their UK and European tour this month following the recent release of the fifth studio album Mapping the Rendezvous.

These fellas’ crowds continue to be undoubtedly one of the best in terms of showing what live shows are all about so if you’re wanting to lose control then the good times of Friday fun are calling and I hereby welcome you to the rave.

Photo Credit: XFM

Photo Credit: XFM

Support for the night comes from the locally brewed talent of Clean Cut Kid and Milburn. A night of brilliance.

Last few tickets available via See Tickets and Liverpool Echo Arena

Crystal Fighters @ O2 Academy 18.11.16

Fill your Friday night with euphoric energy this week with the treasures that are Crystal Fighters headlining the O2 Academy as part of their European tour.

This five-piece describe themselves as making “fast dance music” with a folk/indie twist; creating a really interesting and unique sound to their music. With a demand of raving reviews for their records and visually spectacular live shows, this night is not to be missed.

Photo Credit: EVOL

Photo Credit: EVOL

Support for the night is from female artist; Lao Ra and tickets ARE CLOSE TO SELLING OUT so be quick to grab them here

Words: Naomi Gillies

Kitchen Street 3rd Birthday w/ Paranoid London and Objekt @ 24 Kitchen Street 18.11.16

Most third birthday parties consist of screaming toddlers, excruciating games of pass the parcel, and impatiently waiting on presents. Kitchen Street have rather more enjoyable things in store for their third birthday. Paranoid London and Objekt are the night’s headliners joined by Wonder Pot residents or:la and ASOK.

Paranoid London will be playing one of their famous Live Sets, the most renowned of which being their set for Fabric’s 16th Birthday. Whether or not to see these Acid House Heavyweights lay down a live set isn’t something to deliberate over.

Photo Credit: 24 Kitchen Street

Photo Credit: 24 Kitchen Street

From Objekt you can expect an excursion down the rabbit hole. Having cited Jeff Mills and Derrick May as major influences for his mixing and produced albums which range from Dubstep to Techno, Objekt is the product of Detroit, England and Berlin.
Kitchen Street regulars ASOK and or:la will be dropping extended sets as part of the birthday extravaganza and are sure to cleanse the palette before the heat rises because there’s never too many cooks in this kitchen! 

Final release tickets for this celebration are available here 

Words: Aiden Bready 

Fickle Friends @ Arts Club 20.11.16

The Arts Club is bound to be lit up on Sunday night as Brighton band Fickle Friends make a stop off on their final UK tour of the year. Gathering supporting for their latest single Brooklyn from the likes of BBC Radio 1’s Huw Stephens, the band are ready to bring their infectious tunes to one of Liverpool’s most loved venues.

If you’re looking to spend the evening encased in great indie music then look no further.

Caption: Official Fickle Friends Twitter Account (@ficklefriends)

Tickets available online via Ticketweb and See Tickets

Words: Laura Copestake

Featured Image Credit: Counteract 

Helen Rabbitt