BEST OF THIS WEEK’S BUNCH: 28th Nov – 3rd December 2016

Black Pulp @ Cavern Club 30.11.16

Wednesday night at The Cavern Club brings us Black Pulp – a Liverpool based 4 piece with memorable guitar riffs and an addictive sound that will make you want to have them on repeat for hours on end (just check out the slick indie pop banger that is Vapour).

Photo Credit: Black Pulp Official

Photo Credit: Black Pulp Official

With performances also from Rival Bones and Scarlet, this is the perfect fun night out whilst also discovering and supporting upcoming the local talent.

The event is free entry but for guaranteed guest list tickets are available through all three bands.

Words: Jess Fleming

Johnny Lloyd (Supporting The Fratellis) @ O2 Academy 30.11.16

Wednesday marks a return to Liverpool for Scottish rock group; The Fratellis, as they celebrate the 10th anniversary of the release of their debut album, Costello Music. The album spent a total of 83 weeks in the UK top 100 between 2006 and 2008. For the first time ever, the Glaswegian rockers will play a set consisting of Costello Music’s entirety.

Photo Credit: Johnny Lloyd Official Twitter

In support, former Tribes frontman, Johnny Lloyd will look to enlighten the crowd at the O2 Academy as he carries over the same sombre melodies and authentic lyrical originality we’ve seen previously with Tribes. Since the Tribes split back in 2013, Johnny has toured alongside The Maccabees (sob) and Jamie T, with his first Solo EP Dreamland released in June. Johnny’s single Hello Death – produced by Jamie T himself – draws comparisons to Tom Odell’s relaxed style as he tells a story of change, almost comparable to Bruce Springsteen. Johnny’s momentum coming off the back of a successful headline UK tour will surely sets up a thrilling start to what promises to be an electric atmosphere.

Words: Daniel McGinley 

AFRO + Marco Polo w/ Beyond Average, Big Heath & No Fakin DJs @ Buyers Club 1.12.16

There’s a fine line between being young and talented, and just being a show-off, but A-F-R-O straddles the line perfectly, with Buyers Club set to showcase this prodigious young rapper’s abilities this Thursday evening.

Photo Credit: BamBamBam

Photo Credit: BamBamBam

Having made waves in the hip-hop scene with his entry into R.A.’s ‘Definition of a Rap Flow’ contest, the 18 year old L.A. native has gone strength to strength since, garnering acclaim for his clever wordplay and decidedly old school sensibilities, which reject gimmickry and Auto-Tune, and rely solely in the strength of his talent. Ably assisted by the Toronto samplesmith Marco Polo, A-F-R-O is set to deliver a performance that will impress us and make us feel bad about our life choices in equal measure on the 1st of December.

Tickets available online via See Tickets 

Words: Reuben Smith Burrell

Rise Up Tour: Memphis May Fire + Silverstein + The Devil Wears Prada @ Manchester Academy 2, 1.12.16

One for the metal-heads to kick the Christmas month off as Rise Records’ Rise Up tour hits Manchester with joint headliners Memphis May Fire and The Devil Wears Prada bringing their metalcore sound to the city.

Photo Credit: All Things Loud

Photo Credit: All Things Loud

Also supported by Silverstein, these veterans of the scene will be playing songs from their respective 6th, 5th and 8th studio albums as well as a mixture from their celebrated back catalogue. The expansive tour has already been making waves across the U.S.,Europe and the rest of the UK with the show in Manchester sure to be a riot!

Tickets still available online via See Tickets and Manchester Academy 

Words: Alex Williams

BKO Quintet @ 24 Kitchen Street 1.12.16

‘BKO Quintet’s music is born from a meeting between five established artists’ 

Africa comes to Kitchen Street on Thursday night as powerful percussionist: Ibrahima Sarr, vibrant vocalists: Fassara Sacko & Nfali Diakité, master of djelingoni: Abdoulaye Kone, and veteran of the international stage: Aymeric Krol combine their cultural sounds and authentic instrumentals to take the crowd on a journey to the heart of contemporary Mali.

Photo Credit: francodiff.org

Photo Credit: francodiff.org

It’s fair to say that as the cold, bleak winter nights hit hard and Christmas creeps up this night will be far from a nightmare before Crimbo. A summer dream is to be expected and a night created for a right good groove, get the calippos back out because BKO Quintet are here to provide sunshine and smiles!

Tickets still available online via Skiddle 

The Vryll Society @ Invisible Wind Factory 2.12.16

Liverpool’s newly adored home, The Invisible Wind Factory plays hosts to the brilliantly talented local Indie dream; The Vryll Society on Friday night. The five piece glide effortlessly home following their incredible UK Tour. This will be most certainly the last time the band perform in such intimate space before climbing the 2017 ladder to success and following in the footsteps of the best chums from down the road, Blossoms. A Perfect Rhythm is the most recent release from the Liverpool lads and boy oh boy has it gone down a treat for them, should be a harmonious delight when brought to life on Friday and a set including absolute belta’s.

Photo Credit: EVOL

Photo Credit: EVOL

Support of the night comes from three superb acts. RongoRongo, a band spoken about through the grapevine in smashing a sublime live performance, a unique artist who has supported Courtney Barnett; Zuzu is a talent destined to be found and a fresh and upcoming band, The Mysterines are soon to be a mystery solved.

You couldn’t ask for a better Friday night!

Tickets still available online via See Tickets, Skiddle   and DICE

The Vibrators @ The Magnet 2.12.16

One of founding bands in the first wave UK Punk Rock scene, The Vibrators, come to Liverpool to celebrate their 40 year anniversary of constant touring, incredible album releases and a DIY ethic that has been there since day one! A band known to take their influences from Brazilian punk rock and even influencing the name of Stiff Little Fingers, it is without a doubt that this gig will include a lot of beer, sweat and moshing…what more could you ask for on a Friday night?!

Photo Credit: PopMatters

Photo Credit: PopMatters

Support comes from the future of rock ‘n’ roll; Super Fast Girlie Show, punk pioneers; Queen Zee and the Sasstones & the brand new band on the scene; Dead Houses.

Tickets still available online via See Tickets and Skiddle

Georgie (Supporting Blossoms) @ Manchester Albert Hall 2 & 3.12.16

The Stockport lads who have shot to major success over the past 12 months including continuous sell out tours and an official number one album in the bag, Blossoms play two hometown headline gigs this weekend. A weekend Mancunian crowd fuelled on euphoric chants and bloodstream lined with Red Stripe and Boddingtons is confirmed to be one of the best obviously!

Photo Credit: Sonic PR

Photo Credit: Sonic PR

To successfully warm up the crowd in heightened spirits, Nottingham singer songwriter GEORGIE provides original lyricism, the sass of Paloma Faith and instrumental throwbacks to 70s goodness. Influences from the likes of Fleetwood Mac, Carole King and First Aid Kit ooze through her sound. Debut single Company of Thieves released in September is a soul dominant track which marks this lady as a fiesty female to keep an eye on in the next year.

Blossoms choose their support acts excellently including Cabbage, The Vryll Society and hotly tipped Declan McKenna so the gal GEORGIE is one not to be missed, get the early bevvies in and let her take you on a harmonious ride.

Chibuku // Kurupt FM Presents Champagne Steam Rooms @ Arts Club 3.12.16

The Kurupt FM crew are set to debut nothing but a fresh taste of first-rate bangers, solid classics and tight verses on Saturday night. As well as being the stars of BBC’s mockumentary series, People Just Do Nothing, MC Grindah, DJ Beats along with Chabuddgy G, Decoy, Fantasy and Steves now present their infamous Champagne Steam Rooms.

Photo Credit: Official Chibuku Press

Photo Credit: Official Chibuku Press

Joining the boys from Brentford is grime heavyweight P Money, best known for his bass anthem Slang Like This. Having recently dropped his latest track Gun Fingers expect nothing less than first class grime and beats. Also topping the bill is one of the UK’s most respected grime ambassadors Big Narstie, who is set to showcase classics, old and new.

Appearances on the night also come from Big Heath, Liverpool’s very own RAW DJs and Suede Brown.

Tickets still available online via Skiddle  and DICE

ENRG: 04. Magnetic Energy w/ Dusky, Bambounou & Blehrin @ Invisible Wind Factory 3.12.16

On Saturday, the spectacular Invisible Wind Factory will be hosting the final night this season of their successful ENRG series which has brought the likes of Bicep, Floating Points, and The Black Madonna to our fair city and this time features acclaimed UK deep house duo Dusky.

Photo Credit: ENRG Liverpool

Photo Credit: ENRG Liverpool

Dusky have carved a fierce reputation for themselves over the years as both producers and DJs with a string of club-bangers and two impressive albums under their belt, including Outer released just this autumn on their own 17 Steps label, as well as two BBC Essential Mixes, one of which aired just this week.
And if you need further convincing how much of a spectacle the night will be, read our other ENRG reviews including The Black Madonna and Bicep.

Tickets still available online via Ticketarena and DICE

Words: Alex Williams 

Featured Photo Credit: Getintothis

Helen Rabbitt