Sass, Sparkles and Sharpe
Sass, Sparkles and Sharpe

BEST OF THIS WEEK’S BUNCH: 5th – 11th December 2016

CLAY @ Studio 2 6.12.16

Leeds know how to set the bar with indie and alternative delights and Tuesday night Parr Street’s perfect venue, Studio 2 welcomes CLAY. A four piece who have taken the local Yorkshire scene by storm. As they embark on their UK tour it is no doubt that in the next year Joe and Jack Harvey, Danny Armitage and Rob Gration will be on some of the UK’s biggest festivals line ups. These fellas aren’t afraid to beat the big boys off the block.

Photo Credit: Gigslutz

Photo Credit: Gigslutz

For fans of recently discovered talent, The Amazons and Spring King then CLAY will be most definitely the mold to your vase. Electro edge combined with heart pounding instrumentals are what make this band sound so fresh and unique. The alternative genre is waiting for a band with this much charisma and talent, most recently released single 6AM is a prime example as to why these fellas can’t be sinking away from us.

One dose of funky indie sound keeps the doctor away so do what’s prescribed on Tuesday and get yourself down to Studio 2!

Tickets still available online via See Tickets

Venus Demilo w/ L U M E N / PANGEA / KARUNA @ Buyers Club 8.12.16 

This coming Thursday at Liverpool’s Buyers Club, home-grown talent Venus Demilo hit the stage. With much anticipation surrounding this gig, the four piece have caught the eyes of BBC Introducing and Getintothis. This is a gig set to show us what Venus Demilo have to offer as a blossoming, cool, indie band from the North West.

Photo Credit: Official Venus Demilo / Emily Lomas

An amped-up anticipation seems to halo around this exciting and up-and-coming band who have received international credit for their debut single Sinking Ships, making for an amazing night. This is also a night with a lot riding on it as Fran, Christopher, Ryan and Tom perform in their home city. Keep your eyes peeled for this band because they are on their way up. In a region which is known for creating fantastic musicians, being noticed is hard, so see them while you can because the way things are going, one right move will be the catalyst for Venus Demilo shooting to success.

Support on the night comes from 2016 GIT Music Award synth solo; L U M E N, local indie/rock goodness; PANGEA and folk driven melodies; Karuna

Tickets still available online via Partyforthepeople

Words by Molly Moe

Theme Park @ Studio 2 8.12.16 

London trio Theme Park are set to hit Studio 2 this Thursday with support from folk-rockers; Cristobal and The Sea. Following the success of their dreamy and laid back debut in 2013, the band are set the release a second album next year after having dropped new singles You Are Real and L.A (Is Stealing My Friends).

Photo Credit: Theme Park Official

Photo Credit: Theme Park Official

The night is bound to be filled with a range of music both new and old. A highly underrated band who are still not on everyone’s radar (googling them tends to bring up page after page of Amusement Parks), I’d recommend this gig to any fans of bands such as Spector, Everything Everything, and Tribes.

Tickets are still available online via See Tickets so grab them now so you don’t miss out!

Words: Jess Fleming

Hot Plate w/ Flava D and Logan Sama @ 24 Kitchen Street 8.12.16 

On Thursday Hot Plate host Flava D and Logan Sama at 24 Kitchen Street. Known for its intimacy compared to most other venues in Liverpool. Whilst it may not be massive, it’s big enough to not get that feeling you know everyone’s life story after two trips to the smoking area.

Hot Plate have become well-recognised for their choice in artists from the bass scene, having brought Preditah to Kitchen Street just last week. They seem to be one of few nights in Liverpool to be representing the scene at the moment. As this is Hot Plate’s last night of 2016, this is set to be a huge night for all involved.

Photo Credit: 24 Kitchen Street

Photo Credit: 24 Kitchen Street

Flava D is arguably one of the biggest artists doing the rounds in the Bass-House genre currently. She makes up a third of the TQD supergroup, consisting of Royal T, DJ Q, and Flava D. Their new single Visible Ting is guaranteed to send everyone west, and is part of the #savefabric compilation.

Supporting Flava D will be the notorious grime legend; Logan Sama. Having been a regular host on stations such as Rinse and Radio 1Xtra, Sama has proved himself to be one of the best grime DJ’s in the genres history. Last year’s release of FabricLive.83 was curated by the artist, and puts all his skills into a single one-hour mix of raw grime perfection.

Final release tickets are currently still available via Skiddle

Last entry is 11:00pm with the night set to finish at 03:00am.

Words: George Griffin

The Shires @ Liverpool O2 Academy 9.12.16 

Following on from the huge success of the release of their second album, The Shires are back on tour! My Universe, released in September of this year, has become hugely successful being the fastest selling UK Country album of all time, entering the UK Albums Chart at No.3.

The duo, made up of Ben Earle and Crissie Rodes, began singing together in 2013 and since then they have paved the way for country music in the UK with the success of their debut album, making them the first UK Country act to reach the Top 10 in the UK Albums Chart.

Photo Credit: TooManyBlogs

Photo Credit: TooManyBlogs

The duo effectively take inspiration from successful American country singers such as Lady Antebellum and Rascal Flatts fusing this together with their indisputably British sound. The band will be showcasing songs from their new album, noticeably more personal and intimate than the last.

They have also recently been signed to Big Machine Label Group and hope to make a name for themselves in America within the coming year.

The band are back performing at the O2 Academy and tickets for the event sold out before you could scream YEE-HAW! 

Support on the night comes from Nashville’s finest Canaan Smith.

Words: Roma Brown

Shura @ Manchester Academy 2, 9.12.16

Synth-pop arrives in Manchester this Friday night in the form of dreamy songstress Shura who plays the Academy.

Photo Credit: Now Wave

Photo Credit: Now Wave

Touring off the back of her recently released debut album ‘Nothing’s Real’ – arguably one of 2016’s best albums – the atmosphere is sure to be electric as she plays through song-after-song of pop-perfection.

Shura is an artist who has been bubbling up for years as a bedroom producer with hits on Youtube such as ‘Touch’ and ‘White Light’ but now she’s sure to hit the big time so catch her in smaller venues while you still can!

Tickets still available via Manchester Academy

Words: Alex Williams

The Coral @ Liverpool Olympia 10.12.16

On Saturday night Merseyside’s favourites The Coral return to homegrounds to play a sold out gig at the Olympia. They are touring following the release of their brilliant new album, Distance Inbetween as well as playing their hits, such as In the Morning and Dreaming of you.

Photo Credit: Moseley Folk

Photo Credit: Moseley Folk

With support from The Sundowner and By The Sea; this gig will be a mix of The Coral’s hybrid of psychedelia, Motown and Merseybeat, perfect for the Olympia aesthetic; 70 year old theatre. Distance Inbetween is The Coral’s eighth album in thirteen years, an amazing legacy, and the album is getting brilliant reviews, with NME giving a four star review.

This is a gig not to be missed, playing in their home city on the third gig of their UK tour, having played Leeds and Glasgow and with upcoming gigs in London, Norwich, Manchester, Coventry and Bristol.

Tickets for UK Tour Dates are available online via GigsandTours 

Words: Sophie Carter 

Lucy Rose @ Liverpool Central Library 11.12.16

With Christmas just around the corner what more could you ask for than one of Britain’s finest female singer songwriters providing magical melodies in a venue known for its spine tingling acoustics. The city’s iconic library plays host to Warwickshire’s folk queen, Lucy Rose on Sunday night, a perfect set and night to relieve any tensions of a busy working week.

Photo Credit: Lucy Rose Official

Photo Credit: Lucy Rose Official

Miss Rose has been off the radar since the release of her second UK Top 10 album, Work it Out in 2015 but this Christmas her angelic voice has made appearance on BBC One’s Christmas Extravaganza advert covering the jolly classic Shakin’ Stevens’ Merry Christmas Everyone.

She is her own Santa Claus this Christmas as this week sees the release of her Live From Urchin Studios, destined to be a masterpiece that will make hairs rise on the backs of necks whilst wanting to run freely through summery English fields.

Lucy Rose’s lullaby vocals are the perfect fit for a five date library tour and with every date sold out this is bound to be the gig everybody is talking about but SHUSH you’re in the library!

Featured Photo Credit: BBC

Helen Rabbitt