Talib Kweli @ 24 Kitchen Street, Liverpool (05/12/16)

Highly acclaimed Hip-Hop artist Talib Kweli decided to make his return to Liverpool, which was always guaranteed to be a special night. In the intimate set up of 24 kitchen Street, this was the perfect platform for the illustrious rapper to story tell and give his political views through his artistry.

The night was a showcase of both local and global rapping talent, with Liverpool-based Hip-Hop artists such as Eljay and Innuendo from the group L100’ set the tone, along with Nutriiibe providing the rawness of Hip-Hop through combining rapping and beatboxing, which certainly impressed the crowd.

It was clear that Talib Kweli was a veteran in terms of stage performance as soon as he stepped on the stage, catching the audience’s undivided attention. Performing old-school hits such as ‘Stop the Violence’ and ‘Definition’, it brought together a crowd which varied with all ages.

One of the most enjoyable parts of the show was Talib Kweli’s engagement with the crowd. From giving crowd members the microphone to sing,  to responding to avid fans who were shouting praise towards him. It was wonderful to see that after so many years of performing, he still has energy and love for music. The night was a lesson in Hip-Hop for those who were unfamiliar with his works and also a night of reminiscence for those who grew up listening to his music during the 1990s. 

With Talib Kweli holding such strong political views, it was inevitable that he would find time during his performance to discuss with the crowd his opinions. This part was just as engaging and intriguing as the performance.

For the encore song, Talib Kweli performed ‘Get By’ which is a personal favourite. This performance clearly showed that Talib Kweli’s lyrical prowess will never die and that it comes naturally to him. It was certainly one to remember.

Kuda Mushangi

Thundercat @ Invisible Wind Factory, Liverpool (24/3/17)
PREVIEW: FestEvol Gardens @ Invisible Wind Factory (30/4/17)
Pinata Carnival: Skinner’s Lane w/ Black Pulp & Native Kings @ Buyers Club (23/3/17)