Pete & Steph: North-South Divide
Pete & Steph: North-South Divide

Venus Demilo w/ LUMEN, Pangea & Karuna @ Buyers Club (8/12/16)

Thursday night brought us up-and-coming Liverpool talent Venus Demilo performing to an intimate crowd at the Buyers Club. The quirky bar and gig venue was the perfect setting for Venus and their equally as impressive support acts; L U M E N, Pangea and Karuna.

Karuna // Photo Credit: Mark Holmes

Karuna // Photo Credit: Mark Holmes

Pangea stepped onto the pink lit stage, starting strong, striking right into the heart of their heady eclectic sound. Pangea’s lead invited comparisons to The 1975’s theatrical front-man Matt Healy, dubbing a floaty floral shirt and, even adopting his flouncy hand-gestures as he sang the funk-inspired indie pop tunes. Similarities in hand, it is obvious however that Pangea have their own original authenticity and the way they played together created an exciting vibe for the crowd, preparing them for the anticipated headlining from Venus Demilo.

Pangea // Photo Credit: Mark Holmes

Pangea // Photo Credit: Mark Holmes

The peak of the night was yet to come, Anderson, Connor, Fitzpatrick and Williams bounced onto stage and the energetic crowd erupted into euphoria. An intimate crowd now with the energy of that of a sold out arena. The noise and vibrations of their dramatic alt-rock songs ricocheted from wall to wall and Bite my Tongue in particular  hypnotised every member of the crowd into their musical transcendence.

Photo Credit: Mark Holmes

Photo Credit: Mark Holmes

Venus Demilo are refreshing especially because, although they may at first seem like an average alt-pop band, they play with the king of gritty, power (headed by guitar/vocalist Tom Anderson), that only proper musical talent and well-rehearsed unity can create. When it got to Sinking Ships, their dedicated following of fans eagerly buzzing at the front of the stage could barely hold in their excitement, proving why this Liverpool based band are making waves in Merseyside’s indie-pop scene. Dutch courage mixed with exhilaration fueled this fascinating set which even included an amazing saxophone solo. Anderson sang with a sultry tone to an aggressive pace in The Middle, the dips and bursts in the chorus could only be described as insanely electrifying. Least to say, Venus Demilo are on the up and have a lot to give.

Photo Credit: Mark Holmes

Photo Credit: Mark Holmes

Featured Photo Credit: Mark Holmes

Facebook: VENUS DEMILO 

Twitter: @VenusDemiloBand 

Molly Moe