New & Noteworthy
New & Noteworthy

White Lies @ O2 Academy, Liverpool (26/11/16)

The O2 academy is regularly gifted with the presence of great artists, however on the 26th November, there was an extra special treat for Liverpool with White Lies performing at the venue.

On entering the room, the sheer volume of people was immense, with a mutual buzz amongst members of the crowd. The return of White lies performing live in the city was clearly something that has been long-awaited. Bustling forward, I was lucky enough to be tightly knitted near the front of the crowd, where eager-eyed fans were filled with anticipation, as the lights dimmed teasing the start of the gig. Even Michael Jackson’s “Black or White” playing in the background couldn’t ease the excitement brewing for the boys who haven’t played in the city for 7 years.

The room turned to sheer darkness, and the screams began. The stage lights illuminated the band, as McVeigh, Cave and Lawrence-Brown proudly walked on. They took to their instruments and performed Take it out on me from the new album creating a sea of dancing bodies. From this point the energy in the room continued to rise, as the band jumped between old and new, giving fans exactly what they wanted and more.

To Lose My Life was the third song to gift the set list, throwing it right back to their first album of the same name, released in 2009. The drum beat instructed madness into the crowd, as though creating a nostalgic trance, with every individual proudly screaming the lyrics back to lead singer Harry McVeigh. On the note of nostalgia, Unfinished Business was a personal highlight for me at this gig. Every word felt raw, as the sheer emotion being poured out into the compact venue by McVeigh provoked passion in its most natural form.

Following two more White Lies classics; The Price of Love and Farewell to The Fairground, the freshly released single Morning in LA was fed to the crowd. The mid-beat tempo track stood out as it provided shimmering synths to compliment an array of coloured lights on the stage, with its popularity clear by the inevitable jumping.

A rather special moment of the night came with the unexpected performance of From the Stars. The song had not been performed live for a fair while, and as a favourite of mine, and inevitably the rest of the crowd, the excitement of hearing this treasure live was extremely moving. McVeigh even commented on the deliberate decision to perform this in Liverpool, highlighting it’s importance, and making this gig even more special.

After 14 songs, the set came to a close with the band gracefully thanking the Liverpudlian audience for their enthusiasm before sending us mental by performing death.

However like all good gigs, a set isn’t complete without an encore, and White Lies certainly didn’t disappoint. They returned performing Big TV followed by Come On, which re-ignited the buzz in the room. The finale came in the form of Bigger than us with not one person stood still.

A variety of emotions were poured into this gig, with the relationship between White Lies and their fans being inevitably stronger than ever. This gig was wild, eccentric and captivating. So let’ss hope we don’t have to wait another 7 years for the extremely talented band to gift Liverpool again.

Photo credit: Blog Preston

Megan Green