Pete & Steph: North-South Divide
Pete & Steph: North-South Divide

Weekend Wars w/ Rivet City & Patchwork Guilt @ Maguire’s (9/2/17)

Over here at LSRadio we’re always on the look out for the next big thing to be pulled out of Liverpool’s magical hat, the creme de la creme of fresh acts you could say. Well a trip to Maguire’s on Thursday night provided us with the Michelin star of musical goodness. Who’s worthy of such praise you ask? Merseyside’s newly favourite five piece, Weekend Wars. A band who are hotly tipped by BBC Introducing’s Dave Monks and are playlisted across the country including airplay from Steve Lamacq on 6 Music.

Stepping foot into the venue, the sound projecting from the back room was already astounding and triggered the intriguement as to who was curating such ear tingling sounds. The answer was of course a rising Manchester triumph, Rivet City. Frontman, Breeze sporting some fashionable harem pants which could put the stories of a stereotypical gap year to shame and a persona which filled the whole room, it was no query as to why the room was bouncing with fierce power.

Photo Credit: Weekend Wars Official

The crowd then allowed themselves time to catch their breath, warm their muscles for more shape throwing, and sink back a couple more cans before the headliners took their place. The indie/ alternative genre commonly displays a level of coolness but Weekend Wars take that to another level with an empowering sight of a female drummer, the flawless carrying of a classic aviation jacket and a prominently well groomed golden beard.

Presence of an exquisite headline act was immediately distinguished as the five piece threw themselves into corker after corker. The upbeat tempo of personal favourite, She transitioned into the easy moving and quintessential indie Easy. Both sounds ringing similarities to 2017’s pedestalled The Amazons with a sharp edge influence from the distinctive JAWS. The set so far was a perfectly executed teaser to the star of the show, performance of single, Swim released at the end of this month. A track which is bound to glide this St Helen’s quintet into the deserving light of critical and monumental success. The smooth talking lyrics combined with the instrumental essence provides us with a stand alone indie banger.

Photo Credit: Weekend Wars Official

It is without no question that this band are perfectly matched in style, talent and performance. They may well be currently playing intimate venues across the North West but I’ll give it the in Rabbitt’s music taste we trust prediction that in less than 12 months time these guys will be the face of Merseyside’s alternative scene, alongside the likes of acclaimed Vryll Society and Clean Cut Kid. Watch this space.

Featured Photo Credit: Weekend Wars 

Helen Rabbitt