Pete & Steph: North-South Divide
Pete & Steph: North-South Divide

Seafoam Green @ LEAF on Bold Street (16/2/17)

Last Thursday, Leaf on Bold Street was the host of an evening of indie/country vibes with performances from Kyle Lee, Limerance and Seafoam Green. I arrived in the dim-lit, upper-floor of Leaf and enjoyed one of their marvellous gin cocktails before the first support, Kyle Lee, sauntered on stage. He kicked the night off with the fuzzy glow of his solemn and sincere lyrics, accompanied by his dreamy guitar. Although he at first came across as humble and introverted, his stage presence flourished the more he played.  A particular stand-out was Wait for Death, which despite its pessimistic title, really struck a chord because through this song he opened up to the crowd.

Next up were Limerance, a simplistic country/singer-songwriter duo whose vocals sounded like a blend of milk and honey, creating some beautiful harmonies. Limerance’s sweet character only added to their stripped-back musicality and apparel as they delved into their thoughts on Scotland (their homeland) with Old Sky and even Trump with the witty Not in My Name. Limerance put on a set which further indulged the crowd with songbird vocals and pacifying instrumentals, preparing us all for the greatly awaited Seafoam Green.

Leaf welcomed the country singer from Dublin and his band with a friendly bustle and several hoots. After the previous acts I was expecting a similar combination of one man and a guitar, but was pleasantly surprised as a cellist, some female vocals and a pedal steel guitarist were introduced to the stage. Each and every song had a mixture of peaks, from the rough vocals through to the tender moments provided by the dreamy blend of country instrumentals. Seafoam Green had a wonderful ability to be both strong and vulnerable through his music, in particular with the songs Home and Sister. He also managed to create a playful and genial dialogue with Leaf’s small and intimate crowd, urging us to hang about after he had finished and talk with him about his recently released album Topanga Mansion; he seemed more than proud of his work and he promoted the songs Royal Call and the deeply soulful Runaway specifically. To conclude the gig, Seafoam Green thanked us for being a friendly crowd and to show his gratuity, told us “I’ll reward yous with absolute filth” as the rough and ready music began, giving us the wacky and fun country tune Lowly Lou.

This was a gig of true music and scope, so if you get the chance, go see him and you will not be disappointed. I left with a warm feeling of bliss and a new found love for country, a genre I had never been interested in before until Seafoam Green.

Picture Credit: Graham Smillie Photography

Molly Moe