Run Rabbitt Run Presents… @ EBGBS (17/2/17)

For the past few weeks you have probably seen the bright green posters dotted around Liverpool on bus stops and walls. If you have you would know that last Friday night, Run Rabbitt Run hosted a stellar gig down at EBGBS, all in aid of MacMillan Cancer Support. The line-up included four top bands who kept the dancing juices and the party atmosphere flowing late into the night.

Before this gig I had never been to EBGBS. When I think of basement bars I immediately assume they’re going to be dark, sweaty, and claustrophobic. But I had heard good things about this venue and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Heading through the entrance and past the display of various signed memorabilia, which was being given away in the raffle, we ducked under the low arches next to the stage just in time for the first band.

Venus Demilo // Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran

Venus Demilo got the night rolling with a set full of high energy music. It’s clear that the band have been working hard the past few months to perfect their sound and this shone through their collection of new songs. Between the new tracks some old favourites still made an appearance. When the well-known guitar tune of Amsterdam began the crowd were immediately injected with more excitement and soon enough everyone were singing along. The band’s new sound and line-up have come together well and I’m sure that we will be hearing more from Venus Demilo again very soon.

Carrying on the night was Carnival Club, a band that brought a brilliant indie twist to classic rock n’ roll. This gig marked the fourth show on their tour and followed their first headline show in Manchester. You wouldn’t suspect this as they put on a performance that was slick and well crafted. They brought their unique sound to EBGBS and it was executed perfectly.

Carnival Club // Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran

LUNGS were up next and this is a band who are definitely ones to watch. Having only formed a year ago they are young as far as bands go, but they clearly have a lot of talent. The backing intertwined with the vocals beautifully and overall the set was musically brilliant. It’s difficult to not get their smooth and catchy songs stuck in your head and I found myself humming along long after they had finished.

LUNGS // Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran

After three strong sets we headed over to the other side of EBGBS for a quick drink and when we arrived back to watch Black Pulp there was an enthusiastic buzz in the air. This was their first headline gig, and you could tell they were ready to impress. It’s safe to say their music is infectious and kept the crowd moving throughout the whole set. Black Pulp had such a big stage presence and clearly have a lot to give in terms of musical talent. Above everything the guys on stage looked like they were enjoying the moment, something which flowed out into the crowd and kept the atmosphere in the room vibrant, upbeat and full of life.

There’s so much to praise about these four bands. Each one brought their own unique flare and talent to the night and it looks like they all have promising things on the horizon. Four great bands and a lot of money raised for a fantastic cause. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Donations towards Helen Rabbitt’s fundraising target can be made here 

Featured Photo Credit: Run Rabbitt Run 

Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran 

Laura Copestake
Laura Copestake is a student at the University of Liverpool.

Thundercat @ Invisible Wind Factory, Liverpool (24/3/17)
PREVIEW: FestEvol Gardens @ Invisible Wind Factory (30/4/17)
Pinata Carnival: Skinner’s Lane w/ Black Pulp & Native Kings @ Buyers Club (23/3/17)