The Sherlocks @ O2 Academy (11/02/17)

The Sherlocks, an indie rock band from Sheffield, played the O2 Academy Liverpool on Saturday 11th February. They performed an amazing show, providing a great night for all.

There was already a busy setting when we arrived at the venue, just after the doors opened. This surprised me after finding out that the band had 3 support acts before their set. It was clear that everyone attending was ready and raring to go.

The first supporting act were SPINN, a young band based in Liverpool, who seemed to hold a lot of support within the crowd. The audience came together and showed interest in the newcomers and their enjoyable, original tracks. Soon after came a performance from Oddity Road. Having not really listened to the group beforehand, I was pleasantly surprised and I am now interested in getting to know their music; personal highlights included Handshake and You. The lads are supporting The Sherlocks at multiple venues throughout their UK Tour.  

The final support was Jordan Allen, who are also joining The Sherlocks on their tour. The band had released their EP ‘110 Ways To Make Things Better’ only a few days prior to the gig, with all the proceeds  going to The Brain Tumour Charity. The positive reaction from the crowd showed that their music was exciting and the enthusiasm infectious.

During the interval the crowd sang along to the indie classics being played through the sound system,  reciting their favourite tunes to one another. As the songs drew to a close, the room was packed and full of conversation as The Sherlocks finally graced the stage. Their fans appeared to be a mixture of all ages, but they all undoubtedly had a love for the band. An up-beat football chant sounding song queued their entrance and raised the excitement level within the room. The crowd went crazy as the band of 4 took up their positions, and kicked their set off with Last Night. Having first arrived onto the music scene in 2014 with their well-known single Living For The Moment,  The Sherlocks have grafted hard to find their fame over the past couple of years. Evidently the group hold a strong fan base who love the material they have been producing. The room was bouncing- the sound was amazing and everyone was dancing, singing and waving. Having stood further back within the venue, I could observe the crowd and see the enthusiasm and it honestly made me smile. There was a lot of movement on stage, as The Sherlocks performed in an eager yet easy and casual style. Two favourites of mine included Heart of Gold and Will You Be There?. Regrettably, the set list was relatively small and there was no encore included, which everyone seemed to be disappointed by.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The Sherlocks played a great gig and they also had some brilliant support acts.  The venue was packed and the crowd was massive, as well as the music that was performed.

Picture Credit: Jon Neighbour

Olivia Mannix