Sass, Sparkles and Sharpe
Sass, Sparkles and Sharpe

Deep Cuts – Ali Horn, I See Rivers, PIXEY, SPILT & The Bohos @ Buyers Club (2/3/17)

If you’re active amongst the Liverpool music scene you will definitely be aware of Getintothis, the online publication which provides the know all and end all of music news across the city. Being the music moguls of the Mersey, Getintothis prides itself on bringing new and unique artists to light so what better way to do so than to host a monthly gig night! This month’s lineup included Ali Horn, I See Rivers, PIXEY, SPILT and The Bohos. The showcasing on the night proved the diversity of sound coming from Liverpool.

The crowd prepared themselves for a night of tantalising talent and The Bohos gave them just that. The form of pure guitar goodness drives the rock essence from these fellas. Who’d have thought a track titled, Monday Morning would have so much charisma and worship the holy ground of Heebies? Well The Bohos did just that and provided a live performance which confirmed that this band are soon to be the talk of the town.

Getintothis understands the well deserved credibility of female power in the industry and that was definitely the case when it came to the next two artists; PIXEY and I See Rivers. If you created a single figure who was the equation for youthful and feel good pop, you’d get the formula of PIXEY. The young artist strikes creativity and is bound to have an incredible fan base in the near future. With an instrumentally executed full band to add to the live performances of singles, Young and Hometown, the energy is infectious to say the least.

The highlight of the night came from I See Rivers, a female Norwegian trio whose harmonies brought chills to the spine, rose hairs on the back of necks and took the crowd to a dreamworld. This band are unique and bring their traditional folk roots to life. Performing on stage simply wasn’t enough for these ladies, they wanted to be one with the crowd so that is what they became in an acoustic performance. You could hear a pin drop when a single breath was taken; the crowd hypnotised by the angelic vocals of Brun, Nilsen and Scheie. These ladies definitely carry a passion similar that to the sisters of First Aid Kit combined with an essence of Lucy Rose. The performance of debut single, Loved Ones was a perfect example of the breath of fresh air these ladies are to the scene and they deserve every bit of success which lands their way. Sisters are certainly doing it for themselves.

When Ali Horn appeared to headline, I was still in the trance of I See Rivers but soon to be taken over by the catchy and heart pounding performance of this fella. His sound very much echoed an influence of Liverpool lads, The Coral whilst adding a unique psychedelic mixture in Days Like Today. By this point of the evening, the crowd were fuelled with the acquired taste of local ales so the atmosphere was perfect for Thursday being the new Friday. Horn lay down the acoustics when it came to Jesus take the wheel, demonstrating that the key talent is in storytelling. The crowd became a following and once again they were hypnotised by the originality and authenticity of a passionately driven artist.

Take a bow, Getintothis because this month’s Deep Cuts was a blessing to the emerging talents of the city. Here’s to the next!

Helen Rabbitt

Thundercat @ Invisible Wind Factory, Liverpool (24/3/17)
PREVIEW: FestEvol Gardens @ Invisible Wind Factory (30/4/17)
Pinata Carnival: Skinner’s Lane w/ Black Pulp & Native Kings @ Buyers Club (23/3/17)