Fiesta Bombarda w/ Gentleman’s Dub Club & Mungo’s Hi-Fi @ Invisible Wind Factory (11/3/2017)

With its last two outings in Liverpool consisting of junglist figurehead General Levy overseeing proceedings at 24 Kitchen Street and a two-night epic taking place in the Liverpool Cathedral, the minds behind Fiesta Bombarda clearly relish the challenge of going bigger and better with every outing, making it easy to wonder what the event’s sold out night at the increasingly popular Invisible Wind Factory would look like. The answer to this was probably one of Fiesta’s most assured outings to date, with each factor that helps to make the event such a memorable night out on full display, being complemented by a venue that plays to their strengths.

There was a range of sensory experiences for the eyes and ears that partygoers were treated to as they stepped through the Wind’s Factory’s doors, as smiling feathered dancers welcomed people into the room, jungle vines hung from the ceiling and bars above, and bold pink, blues and greens shone from every corner of the room. All of this was set to the music of Bristol’s Future Dub Orchestra, a quintet whose electronically driven reggae sounds invoked the carefree mood of their hometown’s own St. Pauls Carnival, and wasted no time in pulling people onto the dancefloor.

Future Dub Orchestra’s combination of live instrumentation and pulsating beats set the perfect conditions for Gentleman’s Dub Club’s turn to take the stage, allowing the collective to make an impression instantly with their distinctive brand of dub fusion. A band built on its reputation as a live act, songs such as “Fire”, “High Grade” and “Music Is The Girl I Love” have an anthemic quality to them by this point, being delivered by its frontman Johnathan Scratchley and his besuited bandmates with a consummate showmanship that never lost its sense of urgency. The crowd’s delighted response to this appeared to heighten Stratchley’s adrenaline-fueled performance further, resulting in a mutually energetic set that didn’t let up from its beginning to its thunderous end.

Co-headliners Mungo’s Hi-Fi maintained the frenetic spirit of the evening throughout their set, trading the big band stylings of Gentleman’s Dub Club for bass heavy dancehall that sounded joyous reverberating across the room. The arrival of Mungo’s trademark soundsystem based beats proved to be infectious, cementing the summertime carnival atmosphere that serves to support Fiesta’s reputation as one of the most reliably fun nights out both in the city and across the country.

Picture credit: http://www.getintothis.co.uk/2017/03/fiesta-bombarda-feat-gentlemans-dub-club-future-dub-orchestra-invisible-wind-factory-liverpool/

Reuben Smith Burrell