Circus presents Green Velvet, Davide Squillace, Matthias Tanzmann @ Arts Club (25/02/17)

Yousef’s Circus returned once again to the Arts Club, with the tech house legend Green Velvet headlining the theatre on the night. The attic room was hosted by Better Lost Than Stupid, formed by the talented trio of: Davide Squillace, Matthias Tanzmann and Matrin Buttrich who provided a showcase of high energy house and techno on the night. Music from the bar area as usual was provided by Circus residents: Lewis Boardman, Scott Lewis and James Organ, who played alongside Ki Creighton and Jamie Roy.

Cristoph played two hours of bass heavy tech house before Green Velvet in the theatre, teasing Oxia’s Domino twice during his set which kept the crowd lively. As Green Velvet came on stage to play the four hour headline slot the theatre became very busy and warm, giving a classic sweaty rave vibe as the crowd anticipated what was to come. Providing a fast paced set of a variety of tech house and techno, Velvet played some of his very popular classic productions including Flash and Voicemail, his collaboration with Patrick Topping. Using his headphones as a microphone Velvet spoke his well-known vocals over the music for both Flash and Voicemail, which emphasised the unique style of his productions to the crowd. After 2 hours of hard hitting tech Velvet finished with the legendary production of his, Bigger than Prince, which topped off a fantastic night and highlighted as to why he is one of the best producers and DJs in the business.

Although the night was very crowded and felt as if it was oversold, the Arts Club will always remain the true home of Circus, and I will continue to attend as the line-up and the music is always spot on. Circus continues to display why it is one of the leading house and techno events in the UK, bringing some of the world’s best DJs to Liverpool, contributing to the city’s fantastic music scene.

Picture credit: Green Velvet Facebook Page

Sam Fowlds