Ditto Live w/ XamVolo & The Wicked Whispers @ Camp and Furnace (24/3/17)

The Liverpool music scene is constantly exploding with new talent, and what better way for this talent to be seen than through an evening of nonstop music down at Camp and Furnace. Ditto Live brought together 13 of Liverpool’s best emerging artists and the result was a perfect gig.

Arriving at Camp and Furnace on Friday night it was difficult not to get drawn into the alluring look of the Night Garden. But as we walked through the entrance we immediately heard the indie melodies and the impressive cello of The Mono LPs escape from the other warehouse. The set up for the night was left to a minimum with just two stages facing each other. This gave time for each band to set up whilst the preceding band wowed the crowd.

LUNGS // Photo Credit: Chris Flack

Next up was Bribes on the Dave Monks stage who delivered a strong rock n’ roll infused set. Oya Paya soon followed with their chilled vibes accompanied with the unique whistling of front man. The pace quickly picked up again as The Wicked Whispers blasted their psychedelic 60s tinged music. LUNGS performed an impressive set soon after, showcasing many of the songs from their latest EP, including personal favourite Seagulls.

After 90 minutes of strong rock infused music, the genres shifted and XamVolo took to the stage. Undoubtedly a highlight of the night, XamVolo mesmerised the crowd with his powerful neo-soul voice and infectious tunes. You can’t question the talent he possesses. He showcased his impressive vocal range, hitting the top notes with ease, and all the while looked composed and relaxed on stage. The whole set had many people in the crowd cheering, clapping and moving along to the beat and I think everyone wanted more when XamVolo left the stage as his final song played out.

XamVolo // Photo Credit: Laura Copestake

Other highlights of the night included The Sneaky Nixons, who opened their set with a beautiful and captivating trumpet melody before continuing with a raucous set jam-packed with megaphones and energetic tunes. The music continued to bounce back and forth between bands before the night came to a close with Venus Demilo. The five-piece’s well-known feel good indie tunes, such as Bite My Tongue and the new revamped version of Amsterdam, were the perfect ending to the night, keeping the crowds buzz continuing as they started to leave the venue.

Venus Demilo // Photo Credit: Chris Flack

There’s no doubt that Ditto Live was a huge success. All the bands who performed served as a reminder of how much musical talent there is here in Liverpool. I look forward to seeing what Ditto has in store for the next one, I wouldn’t miss it if I were you.

Featured Image Credit: Ditto Music 

Laura Copestake