The Jolly Hour
The Jolly Hour

Having gained popularity through featuring on Chase and Status’ ‘All Goes Wrong’, Tom Grennan brought his music to Liverpool in a highly anticipated night at LEAF. Having played the Shipping Forecast in March, he sold out his Wednesday night gig months in advance. The buzz amongst those lucky enough to have tickets was obvious, even when sheltering from the rain in the long entry queue. The hidden away venue was an intimate setting, which lent itself to solidifying the connection between Grennan and the audience. Featuring as Annie Mac’s Radio 1 hottest record multiple times and the BBC Sound of 2017 longlist, it’s fair to assume he may not be playing such small capacity venues for long.

Photo credit: Marian Jones Evans

The night opened with Lily Moore’s Liverpool debut. A simple set up consisting of a keyboard and guitars provided the opportunity for her to demonstrate her vocal ability and convey the emotion behind her songs. Echoes of Amy Winehouse’s style didn’t go unnoticed, with whispers of her name spreading through the crowd after the first song. Having spent most of the day exploring the coffee shops around Bold Street she was ready to perform her set list which included her songs Undo and 17. Her voice seemed to flow over the crowd and fill the room with reverberating warmth and captivate the crowd. Her upcoming single Not That Special went down well, indicative of the promising future that lies ahead of her.

Next, Tom Grennan arrived on stage, dressed all in white to loud applause and shouts before opening with his current single, Royal Highness. This high energy, catchy hit set the tone for the rest of the night. The crowd  matched Grennan’s enthusiasm for his debut album Lighting Matches (due to be released next March). He hopes that it will do well in the charts and if the track list is anything near the quality of songs already released, the sales are sure to materialise. His indie-rock set list contained plenty of feel good songs such as Barbed Wire performed with the complete band for a fuller sound. In contrast the likes of Sweet Hallelujah allowed him to really show off his raw vocals and outstanding ability to hold a note beyond anyone in the crowd. He explained to us that due to the experience of touring he has evolved from playing ‘Old Songs’ and admitted that he doesn’t actually like the song as much as he did. Nevertheless, he made a concession and played it, knowing how popular it is with his followers.

A Tom Grennan gig is a guarantee for a good gig and like everyone there, I’ll be keenly awaiting his next Liverpool appearance.

Tom Grennan’s debut album Lighting Matches is released March 10th 2018.

Photo credit: Marian Jones Evans.

Marian Jones Evans