Vibes with Rozza
Vibes with Rozza
Liverpool Bus Strikes – What Students Need To Know

It was announced this week that bus drivers at both Arriva and Stagecoach would be staging industrial action on several dates this month, with the first strike scheduled for Arriva buses TOMORROW, causing certain disruption across Merseyside, and particularly for off-campus students. Notable bus services not running are the 75, 76, 80, 80A, 86, 86A, and the 699. Two of the scheduled Stagecoach strikes were called off after the latest round of talks with the trade union Unite, but two more are still scheduled for the 23rd and 30th until further notice.

• THURSDAY 19TH OCTOBER – Arriva Services Only
  • MONDAY 23RD OCTOBER – Arriva and Stagecoach Services
  • MONDAY 30TH OCTOBER – Arriva and Stagecoach Services

What are my alternative transport options?

1. As Stagecoach services are still running tomorrow (Thursday 19th), services running on Merseytravel’s Quality Bus Network, such as the 86, 86C and 86D, are accepting Arriva tickets. The nearest bus stop for Greenbank and Carnatic Halls Residents is on Smithdown Road/Nicander Road, situated near the Wavertree Tesco Metro. However keep an eye on those further strikes!
  2. If you happen to live by a Merseyrail station off-campus, such as Aigburth or St Michael’s, Merseyrail will be accepting PRE-PAID ARRIVA STUDENT TICKETS (such as the Student Saver Pass), which will take you directly via the Northern Line to Liverpool Central.
  3. Taxis are also an option here, such as Alpha Taxis, Delta Taxis, UBER, and of course the trusty black cabs.
  4. If you ride your bike into university, then you should have no problems whatsoever! Those without one can also hire a Liverpool Citybike for the day, of which students can get a discount on hire – you can do this by downloading the app on your smartphone.

For more information about bus services and timetables, check out Merseytravel’s website: http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/

You can also follow more updates on the industrial action via Arriva’s Twitter: @arrivanorthwest

Featured Photo Credit: Liverpool Echo

Mikey McCusker
Mikey McCusker
Co-Station Manager

More

University of Liverpool Men’s Rugby League – Angus Parkin, Captain : Interview
Catholic Action @ The Shipping Forecast (03/03/18)
Liverpool Strikes Could Continue as UCU Reject Pensions Deal
End of the F***ing World – Netflix Show Review
The Singh Twins: Slaves of Fashion at The Walker Gallery