On Air Now
On Air Now

ENRG Presents Dusky, Lo Shea, Kiwi and Blehrin @ IWF (2/3/18)

It’s been barely more than a year since the events organiser ENRG sprung up and started collaborating with Invisible Wind Factory, but in this short space of time their parties have become an essential part of Liverpool’s nightlife, combining shrewd and credible bookings with the sheer heft IWF has to offer as a space. Hosting the latest leg of electronic duo Dusky’s 17 Steps tour, the booking managers at ENRG proved once again that they definitely know what they’re doing.

Resident Blehrin started the proceedings with a typically punchy set, setting the scene for the night with a cheery and melodic collection of house that didn’t shy away from nodding to harder, acid-inflected beats at times, before being followed by London’s Kiwi, who kept up the tempo. Clearly well-versed in all music across the electronic spectrum, Kiwi’s set managed to straddle moods ranging from heavier stuff to the tranquil to something approaching euphoria, with a consistent sense of propulsion being the unifying factor.

The smart eclecticism of the previous two sets proved to be an excellent foundation for Sheffield’s own self-styled “warehouse agitator” Lo Shea, who wasted no time in ratcheting the energy levels even higher once he took to the stage. Embodying his city’s reputation for innovative and sometimes off the wall electronics, Lo Shea delivered a visceral set largely consisting of techno that proved difficult to resist moving to. Showcasing an experienced DJ’s knowledge of what it takes to keep a crowd going, Lo Shea was a highlight that frequently threatened to upstage the act he was supporting.

Fortunately Dusky were more than capable of keeping up with their predecessor once they finally stepped up, demonstrating their skill in fusing a crowd pleasing accessibility with a huge sounds required to fill a big room. Returning from a show last year, Dusky seemed assured as they combined highlights from 2016’s Outer and the EPs they’ve since released with the best of what they have to offer from 17 Steps. The result was a performance that seemed to fuse all of the best aspects of the sets that came earlier in the evening, with an additional injection of moody rave production, cementing Dusky’s status as one of the best live propositions the UK currently has to offer.

Photo credit: https://www.facebook.com/enrgliverpool/photos/a.553757405000621.1073741844.279132529129778/553759801667048/?type=3&theater

Reuben Smith Burrell
Head of Music

Sam Fender @ The Shipping Forecast 07/11/18
Zuzu @ Jacaranda Records 7/11/18
IDLES @ 02 Ritz Manchester – 19/10/18
Superorganism @ Arts Club – 16/10/18