On Air Now
On Air Now

Bad Sounds @ O2 Academy 02/11/18

Bad Sounds are new kids on the block, having just released their debut album ‘Get Better’, yet they have already sold out gigs around the UK and have had Radio 1 track of the week. Pretty impressive.  

The band came onto stage to a strange voice over welcoming you to the ‘Get Better Clinic’ which excited the crowd even more. ‘Wages’, their most popular tune opened the night sending the crowd crazy, I have never seen so many people in a mosh in such a small venue. Maybe it’s me getting older but it seemed to be a very young crowd on the night – of what could only be 15 year olds.

The band continued to stir up the crowd by playing through the songs in the album. Their unique sound definitely didn’t go unrecognised, the devoted crowd belting to every song. The boys on stage seemed at times to forget that they were the artist and themselves going crazy on stage, adding to their charm.

Their set also contained some quieter numbers too allowing the audience to reflect on their experience at the ‘Get Better Clinic.’ A short break allowed another rendition of the clinic voice over, a rather spiritual moment with all the lights off and a single bulb illuminated on stage, overwhelming some of crowd into tears. Peace didn’t last long though, Ewan and Callum were quickly back to their party, this time in a fresh costume change. The second half of the gig was just as octane filled with the edition of balloons being thrown and burst around the room. Most notably the guitarist (who uncannily looks like an Environmental Science lecturer) decide to climb up on the windows and play to a lonely woman but was quickly pulled back down by Ewan and Callum.

This will be a gig I will never forget; my only wish is that I knew the songs a little bit better. If you are a fan of the 1975 you may find something you like out of Bad Sounds.

Gabriel Morris

Sam Fender @ The Shipping Forecast 07/11/18
Bad Sounds @ O2 Academy 02/11/18
Zuzu @ Jacaranda Records 7/11/18
Husky Loops @ EBGBs 24/10/18
Tom Grennan @ O2 Academy – 20/10/18