On Air Now 11:00-12:00
Road to Nowhere
On Air Now 11:00-12:00
Road to Nowhere

Jordan Allen @ Arts Club 30/11/18

Opening their headlining set on the Friday night reciting some clear love for John Cooper Clarke, enigmatic frontman (and band’s namesake) Jordan Allen immediately won this writer over. Allen demonstrated a well-crafted talent for working everyone that was packed into Arts Club that night; closing the set with what I’m sure was an extremely self-satisfying bout of crowd surfing.

I am ashamed to say I was not wholly familiar with the band’s music before the gig, skimming top plays online, and reading the brief descriptions of Allen’s style posted alongside. However, the young Bolton native won’t go unnoticed again. Supported by Zulu (much respect to their bassist for killing it, while wearing a swimming hat and goggles), Lola, and Brothers Of Mine, Allen took to stage on schedule at 9:45pm after doors opened at 7:30. The three excellent and stylistically in-keeping bands each brought their own unique spin to the North’s, now signature, brand of Indie Rock and set a precedent for Allen’s own cheeky, relatable wave of lyricism.

Musically, the rest of the band with Jordan Allen were extremely tight and gave an excellently lively performance, working every corner of the room for all it was worth. Their brand of Indie Rock/Pop should be acceptable to any music lover; never unnecessarily complex or busy, Jordan Allen perform songs to dance to, which I’m sure every person at the show could testify to doing!

Jordan Allen preached his love for the Liverpool crowd throughout the set, and heartwarmingly expressed his thanks for how much the crowd had grown since their last time in the city. It is refreshing to see an artist, though fully deserving of all their success so far, being genuine and humbled by it.

Final Thoughts:
Would I recommend seeing them live? Absolutely!
Should you check out their latest single? Most definitely, it’s titled ‘Naked’ and is available online.
Are they playing locally soon? Unfortunately not. Jordan Allen have just finished a mammoth tour, but keep an eye out for more information soon.

Photo credit: Will Baines

Will Baines

Sound City 2019 news: Loads more artists added to the line-up!
Persian Hugs @ 02 Academy Liverpool 14/12/18
The Orielles @ Invisible Wind Factory 07/12/18
Jordan Allen @ Arts Club 30/11/18
SHOW SPOTLIGHT: This is Radio Clash – Friday 6pm