the Christmas break
Live shows return after the Christmas break

Raheem Sterling hopes to leave Liverpool

Following Stevie G’s emotional final home game on Saturday who is ready to go next?  

Sterling told the BBC in April that he is not a “money grabbing 20-year old”.  He has turned down the offer of £100,000 a week to continue playing at Anfield.

After starting for the team in 34 of the 35 Premier League games that he has played this season he says “I talk about winning trophies throughout my career.  That’s all I talk about…I just purely want to be the best I can be

Raheem_Sterling_(15623713741)

Sterling warming up before a match against Hull City

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher remarked that “Raheem Sterling will obviously move on at some stage, he doesn’t want to be at the club and this looks like a tactic to force the club’s hand.

“Trophies don’t get handed out, you’ve got to earn them.  You’ve got to deliver in big games and he hasn’t done that yet.”

He is set to meet with chief executive Ian Ayre and manager Brendan Rodgers on Friday to tell them he will not be signing another contract for the club and wants to leave.  It is expected that they will only sanction his early departure if an astronomical offer is made.

Departing captain Steven Gerrard said “the danger for these young players is they want it all too soon and they go chasing it. Then they go to another club and just become a number.”

It seems the advice of the departing captain may fall upon deaf ears with rumours of Manchester City being on alert already to snap up the player.

Elinor Rice
Second year Communications student. Head of News.

Invisible Wind Factory Closed After Incident
NUS Delegates for 2018 Announced
Another Student-Only Bongo’s Bingo Date Announced
Gender Politics?! In my Guild?! A Short History of the Gender Preferendum
Liverpool Bus Strikes – What Students Need To Know