Feelgood
Feelgood

The Guardian League Tables: University of Liverpool takes a tumble

With the Guardian releasing its annual university league tables, LS Radio looks at the whys and wherefores of where universities are ranking this year, most crucially the universities of Liverpool.

Although not true for all, one of the most popular ways prospective students sift through universities is by looking at the newspaper university league tables. The Guardian released their findings a couple of days ago, and here is what we found.

The top three are non-movers. Cambridge, Oxford and St. Andrews hold on to spots one, two and three respectively.

Perhaps the success story of the day was Coventry, climbing twelve places into 15th position, the highest ever ranking a former polytechnic has reached in the Guardian’s conclusive listing. In doing so, Coventry beat the likes of the Russell Group institutions in Birmingham, York, Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Cardiff.

Only one university fell from the crowning top ten – the London School of Economics, with the University of Exeter entering this top flight race at number nine. Although, many other Russell Group universities also dropped a few places.

Other risers were the University of Sussex, which jumped more than twenty places to secure its new spot in the top twenty universities, scoring highly in ‘teaching satisfaction.’ Falmouth University also did a similar twenty-place-bounce, now knocking around the realms of number 31.

1200px-Victoria_Building_UoL_2        jmu

Now we come to our universities here in Liverpool.

Liverpool John Moores jumped up the league tables from number 80 to number 58. Uni of, however, fared quite dismally, dropping fourteen places to 59th. It seems, however, that where the University of Liverpool fell short was in ‘satisfaction of feedback’, scoring a less than first class 68.0. The shred of hope we can hold onto here, though, is our graduate prospects of getting a job are still 12% better than our fellow students at Liverpool John Moores. Liverpool John Moores, however, still topped us in categories for ‘student to staff ratio’ and ‘value added score /10’, as well as in several subject-specific tables. I guess this takes one back from Varsity.

Not forgetting our friends at the other universities in Liverpool, Liverpool Hope University made their top 120 debut, sliding in at 104.

Where the University of Liverpool did fare better, however, was in the individual subject tables. Our veterinary school was ranked second best in the country for 2016, coming second only to the University of Cambridge. Our vets also have the best career prospects in the country with a 97% chance of getting a job within six months of graduation. Our medicine students also fared well, where despite sitting in 31st place, their career prospects were a tippity-top 100%.

The University of Liverpool’s Communications and Media department also outranked the university as a whole, sitting at number 36, while our physicists clearly know where the earth is at, sitting comfortably in 14th.

Cecily Sheppard

Liverpool Bus Strikes – What Students Need To Know
Heinz Takes Beans Bus to Williamson Square
Merseyrail Strikes Continue This Week
Welcome to Liverpool – A (Very) Short Round Up of the Guild
ANNOUNCED: Welcome Week 2017