USA says YES to same-sex marriage

After over a decade of legal battles the US Supreme Court has ruled that same-sex marriage is a legal right across the whole of the United States.

Yesterday the ban on same-sex marriage was no longer enforceable across the remaining 14 American States to hold it, including Ohio, Texas and Georgia. Same-sex couples will now enjoy all the same legal rights as married heterosexual couples across the country and will be recognised on documents such as birth and death certificates.

In an emotional and compelling ruling, Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote for the majority, declaring that ‘no union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family,’ and that ‘marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death.’ He expressed that their hope is ‘not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilisation’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law.

In the dissent Justice Antonin Scalia claimed that the ruling was a ‘threat to American democracy.’ In spite of this a 5-4 majority surfaced and thousands were celebrating in the street outside the Supreme Court and across the globe.

After the ruling was announced many took to the internet to express their joy:

And, of course:

Laura Copestake

Students vote to rename Liverpool Guild’s Aung San Suu Kyi room after Kitty Wilkinson
Lab Report: Puppies in the Guild
Wellbeing Week (8th -12th May) : What’s On
Dr. Stuart Wilks-Heeg’s French Election Night Playlist
French Election : Voting begins in the presidential run-off