Are pushy parents fuelling lad culture at uni?

Expert Jeremy Thomas has said he thinks that pushy parents are adding to the issue of ‘laddish culture’ at universities.

A speaker at private schools on mental health, Thomas says the issue of pushy parenting comes hand in hand with those students being unable to cope with the real world. He says that parents that are narrowly focussed on “breeding children for success” leave their offspring oblivious to any else.

Reports of Mr Thomas’ remarks come following the rise of the media presence in a campaign to tackle rowdy ‘laddish’ behaviour on university campuses across the country.

In conversation with the Telegraph, Mr Thomas goes on to say that:

Parents hot house their kids at private schools and very often these kids are like pedigree dogs because they are so bred to success that they don’t have any idea of anything else. Then kids go to university and want to fit in […] but they are right at the bottom of the pecking order and therefore they go into the drinking and drug culture.

This has led him to conclude that in some way, parental pushiness in protecting children from the real world has had the opposite affect by resulting in laddish behaviours in order to fit in with the university crowd.

In the day job, Jeremy Thomas speaks at private schools on how to tackle anxiety and depression.

Cecily Sheppard

Students vote to rename Liverpool Guild’s Aung San Suu Kyi room after Kitty Wilkinson
Lab Report: Puppies in the Guild
Wellbeing Week (8th -12th May) : What’s On
Dr. Stuart Wilks-Heeg’s French Election Night Playlist
French Election : Voting begins in the presidential run-off