New Film Studio planned for Liverpool

The Littlewoods Building in Edge Lane is set to become a new film and TV studio.

Littlewoods-building-750x385

Courtesy of Liverpool City Council – Liverpool Express

It has been announced that 25 million pounds will be spent redeveloping the building, which has been empty since 2003.

Following the success of the Baltic Triangle, new creative spaces are in demand around the city and this development is the latest project that will supply Liverpool’s creative boom with outlet.

Located across a campus that will stretch between both the Littlewoods Building and the neighbouring Liverpool Innovation Park, it is estimated that the development will also create 900 full time jobs.

It is believed that the decision was partly pushed through by the recent announcement of tax breaks in the British film industry. This has led to many companies looking to film and produce content in the UK itself, rather than overseas, and so it has been seen as beneficial for Liverpool to provide a platform for this. Should Liverpool remain unable to provide the required facilities for film production, it is feared the city will lose out on millions of pounds it could otherwise have made from the British film industry.

If the report is successfully approved to allow the transfer of the Littlewoods Building from the Homes and Communities Agency to the city council, developer Capital and Centric Ltd. could begin major onsite works as early as January 2016.

Cecily Sheppard

More Local News

Independent Liverpool announce new food market
Liverpool City Council Budget Meeting Round Up
UOL Help the Homeless Society & The Shoebox Full of Love Appeal
Hillsborough Verdict: 96 unlawfully killed
Viola Beach enter the UK Top 20