UK MPs vote in favour of air strikes in Syria

After a 10 hour debate in the House of Commons, MPs have voted to allow UK military air strikes against the so-called Islamic State in Syria.

Joining France, the US and Russia, the UK will carry out targeted bombings in the hope of wiping out extremists. Today’s debate comes just a few weeks after the awful terror attacks that occurred in Paris, killing 130 people.

Whilst the majority of MPs (397) backed David Cameron’s plan for air strikes in the currently war-torn country, 223 MPs voted against it.

However, it is thought that more Labour MPs voted in favour of David Cameron’s plan than first estimated. This may be due to the decision by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, whose party is currently facing deep divisions, to allow a free vote for Labour MPs.

Since the Syrian Civil War broke out in 2011, the fighting within the country has seen the rise of sectarian groups, including the Islamic State, causing more than 250,000 Syrians to lose their lives. There is also an ongoing humanitarian crisis which has seen more than 4 million people flee their homes and cross the border to escape the violence ensuing in their country.

There is currently no news on when the air strikes will be launched but it is thought to be soon.

Laura Copestake
Laura Copestake is a student at the University of Liverpool.

Students vote to rename Liverpool Guild’s Aung San Suu Kyi room after Kitty Wilkinson
Lab Report: Puppies in the Guild
Wellbeing Week (8th -12th May) : What’s On
Dr. Stuart Wilks-Heeg’s French Election Night Playlist
French Election : Voting begins in the presidential run-off