On Air Now
On Air Now

Liverpool awarded status as a City of Music

Liverpool has today been named as a UNESCO City of Music.

The city of Liverpool joins fellow newly crowned Cities of Music Adelaide (Australia), Idanha-a-Nova (Portugal), Katowice (Poland), Kingston (Jamaica), Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of the Congo), Medellín (Colombia), Salvador (Brazil), Tongyeong (Republic of Korea) and Varanasi (India).

Liverpool is only the second city in the UK to receive the award, with only Glasgow having previously been made a City of Music.

As a UNESCO City of Music, Liverpool becomes a part of The Creative Cities Network, a group that now contains 116 cities in over 30 different countries, covering all kinds of creative fields including Crafts & Folk Art, Design, Film, Gastronomy, Literature, Music and Media Arts.

Liverpool's biggest music venue, the Echo Arena

Liverpool’s biggest music venue, the Echo Arena

It is said that Liverpool has been awarded with this accolade because of how central music is to the city’s culture, as well as the focus of music in the city’s education system. With the city being home to the likes of the Beatles and festival Sound City,  music also plays a large part in Liverpool’s economy.

You can check out LSRadio’s coverage of Sound City on our Mixcloud, and our Music Blog features reviews of some of the best artists Liverpool’s gig scene has to offer.

Cecily Sheppard

More Local News

Freezing Temperatures Dominate Merseyside for the Next Week- and Homeless People Suffer
Student Officer Candidates 2018 Revealed, Plus Halls Naming Preferendum
Invisible Wind Factory Closed After Incident
Liverpool Bus Strikes – What Students Need To Know
Heinz Takes Beans Bus to Williamson Square