Andy Murray wins second Sports Personality of the Year title

Andy Murray has been crowned BBC Sports Personality of the Year for the second time in three years.

A friend sent me a message the other day with an article saying:‘Andy Murray is duller than a weekend in Worthing,’which I thought was a bit harsh – on Worthing.”

– Andy Murray on his win

The tennis star first won the award in 2013 and was last night awarded BBC Sports Personality of the Year for 2015 too.

Earlier this year, Murray was an inspirational part of the Great Britain team that won the Davis Cup. It had been 79 years since Britain last won this particular accolade.

He also reached the final of this year’s Australian Open and the semi-finals of both the French Open and Wimbledon, finishing the year second in the world tennis rankings.

Last night’s Runner Up was star of rugby league, Kevin Sinfield, with heptathlete Jessica Ennis-Hill coming in third place to make up the top three.

Murray accepted his award from Irish boxer Barry McGuigan after the Scot received 35% of the vote.

On receiving Sports Personality of the Year, Murray said:

Congratulations to everyone who was involved tonight. This has been a five-year journey – we were down in the bottom level of tennis and now we’re number one. I dedicate my life to this sport and I work extremely hard every day to make you proud.

Cecily Sheppard

ANNOUNCED: Welcome Week 2017
Students vote to rename Liverpool Guild’s Aung San Suu Kyi room after Kitty Wilkinson
Lab Report: Puppies in the Guild
Wellbeing Week (8th -12th May) : What’s On
Dr. Stuart Wilks-Heeg’s French Election Night Playlist