Lead cast announced for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

The casting for the ‘Golden Trio’ in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child has been announced.

The play, which is the 8th installment of the Harry Potter story, opens in London’s West End next year, and will feature Jamie Parker as Harry, Noma Dumezweni as Hermione, and Paul Thornley as Ron.

Creator of the boy wizard, J.K. Rowling, told Pottermore, her online venture based on Harry’s magical world, that she is:

“so excited with the choice of casting for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I can’t wait to see Jamie, Noma and Paul bring the adult Harry, Hermione and Ron to life on stage next summer.”

HPCC_cast_2

Image Credit: Pottermore, Photo by Simon Annand

There has been a mixed reaction from fans, some stating their shock on social media that a black actress has been cast as Hermione.

However, most people are supportive of the Olivier award-winning actress portraying the role of Hermione Weasley onstage, especially after J.K. Rowling took to Twitter to point out that she never specified the colour of the character’s skin in the book series.

Others have taken issue with the distinctly less ginger hair of Paul Thornley compared to that of Rupert Grint, who portrayed Ron Weasley in the film franchise. Writer of the play, Jack Thorne, tweeted:

This new trio of wizarding folk have their own claims to acting fame prior to starring in the Potter sequel next summer. Parker is currently playing Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls at the Savoy Theatre, which has been received extremely well by critics, Dumezweni won an Olivier Award for Best Performance in a Supporting Role as Ruth Younger in A Raisin In The Sun, and Thornley’s theatre acting credits include A Chorus of Disapproval at the Harold Pinter Theatre and Private Fears in Public Places at the Stephen Joseph Theatre.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child opens Summer 2016 in London’s Palace Theatre.

Feature Image Credit: “Harry Potter Cursed Child Play” by Wikipedia

Image Credit: Pottermore, Photo by Simon Annand

Cecily Sheppard

Independent Liverpool announce new food market
Liverpool City Council Budget Meeting Round Up
Guild Puppy Room tickets sell out in an hour
The Guild is having a Puppy Room!
Shortlist of nominees for The Guild Awards announced