Dropout Radio
Dropout Radio

Donald Trump becomes 45th President of the USA

According to Associated Press news agency reports, it’s now official that Donald Trump is President of the United States of America.

In what has been described as ‘a stunning victory‘ by BBC News, Republican Donald Trump has beaten Democrat candidate Hillary Clinton to the US Presidency.

The final result comes after a night of large amounts of uncertainty as the results from each state trickled in, with Clinton and Trump each retaining most Democrat and Republican strongholds respectively. Some say that in the end, Trump’s victories in Florida, Ohio, and North Carolina set the path for this ‘upset’, which has been compared to Brexit by several on Twitter.

Trump surpassed the required 270 electoral votes required to take residency of the White House only moments ago, with the results from five states still being awaited, according to the BBC. 

The general feeling at the Live US Election Results Night at Liverpool Guild of Students seemed to be one of confusion, with the University of Liverpool Politics department keeping attendees updated with predictions throughout the evening.

LSRadio also hosted a US Election Overnight Special of hit Thursday lunchtime show, The Politics Hour, bringing interviews and opinions from students and academics alike and hosted by some of the University’s Politics students.

Several academics from LJMU and UoL were on hand to give their thoughts as events unfolded:

The conversations on LSRadio’s dedicated show threw up some interesting opinions for discussion:

For those students disappointed by the outcome, however, there did seem to be at least one silver lining:

Feature Image: By Michael Vadon – →This file has been extracted from another file: Donald Trump August 19, 2015.jpg, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=42609338

Cecily Sheppard

NUS Delegates for 2018 Announced
Another Student-Only Bongo’s Bingo Date Announced
Gender Politics?! In my Guild?! A Short History of the Gender Preferendum
Liverpool Bus Strikes – What Students Need To Know
Heinz Takes Beans Bus to Williamson Square