17 year old Woodburn produces the Goods on Debut

Liverpool enjoyed a successful week winning both premier league and league cup matches whilst Everton continue their downward slump in form.

It has been a memorable end to the month for Liverpool, not least for Ben Woodburn. Aged 17 years and 45 days, Woodburn blasted in to confirm Liverpool’s progression to the semi-finals becoming the youngest ever scorer for the Football Club.

Woodburn has prevailed over Liverpool greats such as Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, Raheem Sterling and surprisingly, even Jordan Rossiter in becoming the clubs youngest ever scorer.

picture-1

Image: Getty

The fixture however was a mouth-watering one. Liverpool and Leeds, two traditional English giants of the game, reunited under the lights of Anfield. With the Leeds travelling fans taking up the whole bottom tear of the Anfield Road end, they certainly put their stamp on the game, out-singing and out-chanting the Anfield crowd.

Yet it was Liverpool who made the breakthrough on the 76th minute, with Divock Origi latching on to a beautifully executed cross from another Liverpool youngster, Trent Alexander-Arnold.

It was then Ben Woodburn’s moment of glory, sealing the victory on the 81st minute and celebrating in the appropriate manner in front of the Kop.

Three days prior, Liverpool took on David Moyes’ Sunderland in a hard fought grind earning all three points. Goals from Origi and Milner confirmed the win, after a determined and well-organised performance from Sunderland.

The reds return to the south coast next weekend, taking on Eddie Howe’s Bournemouth in what will be a tough fixture. Ex-Liverpool attacker, Jordan Ibe, will certainly be looking to show Jürgen Klopp and his old team exactly what they’re missing.

It was another tale of the youngsters in Everton’s fixture at Southampton, but not in Everton’s favour.

It was Southampton’s 19 year old debutant, Josh Sims, who gave the decisive pass to Charlie Austin to knock in the only goal of the match in the 1st minute. Poor concentration from the Everton back four was to blame, with the blues struggling to grow into the game for the remainder.

picture-2 Image: AFP

With reports during the week suggesting that Everton’s squad is becoming aged, it seems there is little for the fans to cheer about. However, all is not lost for Ronald Koeman and his team, as Manchester United are the visitors this weekend.

What a game this poses to be. With Everton needing to send out a message to their fans and the rest of the premier league, and Man Utd showing signs of rejuvenation, the game will be highly contested.

Sunday is the perfect opportunity for Everton to change their fortunes, and Ronald Koeman will have them fired up which certainly will please what is an unhappy Goodison Park.

Feature Image: Julian Finney/Getty Images Sport

Jamie Russell
Jamie Russell is a student at the university of Liverpool

NUS Delegates for 2018 Announced
Another Student-Only Bongo’s Bingo Date Announced
Gender Politics?! In my Guild?! A Short History of the Gender Preferendum
Liverpool Bus Strikes – What Students Need To Know
Heinz Takes Beans Bus to Williamson Square