Dropout Radio
Dropout Radio

UoL Rugby steal the show in Varsity 2017

Feature Image: Celebrations at the end of the men’s event

On a damp Varsity day at Fortress Wyncote, it was all University of Liverpool when it came to Rugby Union. Both the men and the women’s teams sealed victories against rivals Liverpool John Moores. While the UoL men dominated their game from start to finish, the ladies put in a remarkable effort to come from behind and eventually win the derby.

The day started with the ladies’ event in front of an impressive crowd who showed great support throughout the whole game. LJMU started the game in force, scoring a converted try in the early stages, but LUWRU got back quick in the game after a splendid try by number 13 Grace Ogwel. The first half, however, belonged to John Moores as they scored another try just before the break (HT score: LUWRU – LJMU 5:12).

The second half turned out to be a different story, with a more offensive LUWRU showing determination to win this Varsity match. Their efforts paid off, and it was Ogwel again who took the ball home in the space of five minutes. While the converter had a rather bad day at the office, LUWRU’s defence managed to resist the final forcing of the opponents, winning by a slight margin of 15 to 12. The coach appreciated the ladies’ comeback, but admitted work needs to be done for the team to be able to compete at higher levels.

Celebrations at Wyncote only continued after the first success of the day and the increasing attendance of spectators attested the most dominant victory of the whole of Varsity. The men’s Rugby Union team LURFC showed why they are one of the best teams in the league, putting in a fantastic performance against Liverpool John Moores.

At half time the margin was already high enough to pick a probable winner (38:7), and the second half was no different a story as the game ended 57 to 14. The struggling opponents admitted defeat, even though their fight has to be appreciated against a first class performance from LURFC. An impressive crowd guaranteed the show on the field was echoed in the stands, with chants, an enjoyable atmosphere though notably also with several streakers making an appearance.

Rugby was one of the main events of the Varsity and the two victories brought by both teams contributed to University of Liverpool winning the prestigious title of Varsity Champions for a second year in a row.

Grace Ogwel, LUWRU’s MVP for the day

Vlad Ionete

NUS Delegates for 2018 Announced
Another Student-Only Bongo’s Bingo Date Announced
Gender Politics?! In my Guild?! A Short History of the Gender Preferendum
Liverpool Bus Strikes – What Students Need To Know
Heinz Takes Beans Bus to Williamson Square