The Guild is having a Puppy Room!

Yep, yep, yep! As part of University Wellbeing Week, Liverpool Guild of Students is having a puppy room in Mountford Hall.

On Monday 8th May, Guide Dogs UK are coming into the Guild with lots of adorable puppies in a bid to help de-stress students in the run up to deadlines and exams. The news comes following the campus-wide acknowledgement that more needs to be done to support student mental health, and as petting dogs is proven to reduce blood pressure and anxiety levels, bringing our furry friends in seems like a perfect idea!

The pups will be available for two lots of sessions, from 10am-12pm and from 2pm-3pm. These sessions are each split into individual ten minute slots that you can book onto. With limited tickets, and also a restriction of one ticket per person, be sure to snap up your fill of fluff ASAP.

Often with puppy rooms there is some concern for the dogs’ well being. But by getting Guide Dogs UK in, the Guild reduces potential stress to the puppies as guide dogs in training always need to learn to meet new people and all the puppies will have handlers with them, letting them take breaks and making sure the pups remain happy. There is also a limit of 18 students in each session to keep the situation calm for everybody. In addition to this, as Guide Dogs UK are a charity, there is a suggested £2 donation to pay on arrival for your pup-petting session.

According to the LGoS website, these are the additional guidelines all those in attendance will be expected to follow:

• It is extremely important to be relaxed and calm around the dogs, phones are to be put on silent and please don’t bring any food, dog treats or dog toys into the room with you.
  • Each dog will have a handler so do feel free to ask any questions as all handlers are all volunteers for Guide Dogs UK, and are really looking forward to meeting you and answering any questions about their dog and the charity. Photos and selfies are permitted, but do ask the permission of the handlers before taking the dog’s photo.
  • Please ensure that you wash your hands or use the antibacterial gel provided after stroking the dogs, and before you eat or smoke.

You can book yourself into a ten minute slot by clicking the puppy below:

Cecily Sheppard

Welcome to Liverpool – A (Very) Short Round Up of the Guild
ANNOUNCED: Welcome Week 2017
Students vote to rename Liverpool Guild’s Aung San Suu Kyi room after Kitty Wilkinson
Lab Report: Puppies in the Guild
Wellbeing Week (8th -12th May) : What’s On