On Air Now
On Air Now

Five Stories to Watch This Week

As we enter yet another hectic week, LSRadio’s head of news Chris Stringer has picked his 5 news stories to watch this week in national, sporting and local news……

1. Brexit: As always, Brexit is dominating the headlines. Parliament is entering another crunch period with the ‘meaningful vote’ on Theresa May’s deal to be held next week. May has already lost several cabinet members, including her Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab, over her controversial deal. The latest resignation fell on Friday, as Sam Gyimah resigned as Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation on Friday due to the government’s decision to withdraw from the Galileo program. The MP has echoed the comments of the Labour Party by calling on the government to publish the legal advice on May’s deal in full and has suggested a ‘People’s Vote’ may be the only option should Parliament be deadlocked on the deal. The official opposition are expected to join forces with the DUP, the party which gives the Conservatives a working majority in the House of Commons, to bring contempt of parliament proceedings against ministers should legal advice not be published in full. It is certainly going to be an interesting week for Brexit.

2. Climate Change: Much like Brexit, climate change is finding itself to be a regular feature in the news. Today, David Attenborough has spoken to the UN Climate Change Conference warning that rising temperatures and environmental degradation may bring about the “collapse of our civilisations and the extinction of much of the natural world”. The conference will continue until the 14th December; be braced for more warnings, as the UN seeks to encourage governments to take greater action in tackling climate change.

3. Veganism – is it a philosophical belief?: Jordi Casmitjana, a self described “ethical vegan”, is to be heard by a tribunal to determine whether or not veganism is a “philosophical belief”. This follows his dismissal from the League Against Cruel Sport after he disclosed information on its pension fund investments, which included investment in firms that test on animals.  The League Against Cruel Sport have stated he was dismissed for gross misconduct. Should the tribunal find in favour of Mr Casmitjana, it will signify that veganism should be protected under the Equality Act 2010, the same as religion and sexuality. 4. In sport: The FA Cup draw is set to take place tonight and will see five non-league sides, including Merseyside’s very own Southport FC, join Premier League and Championship sides in the hat for the third round. Local clubs up and down the country will be hoping for a lucrative tie against some of the biggest clubs in the country. The draw is set to take place live on BBC One a 7:30pm.

5. In local news: Merseyside Police and investigating the sudden death of a 13 year old girl in St Helens. The young girl was found to be unwell in her home on Sunday before dying just 3 hours later. Police consider the death unexplained and a post-mortem is to follow.

Chris Stringer

INTERNATIONAL POLITICS HOUR: CLIMATE CHANGE
Five Stories to Watch This Week
This Week on the International Politics Hour: THE TECHNOLOGY SPECIAL
THE GLOBAL REFUGEE CRISIS: The Rohingya Refugee Crisis
THE GLOBAL REFUGEE CRISIS: Trump and the Honduras Caravan